Wednesday, October 7, 2015

First Day in London

I left around 5am to make my train to London. There were several lines of security to get into London. I made it into London around 10am. I then tried to find my hotel. It supposedly was right outside the Euston train station. I thought surely this should be a piece of cake. I was very wrong with a 45 pound backpack on my back. I ended up asking two different information stations before I was able to located the hotel.

I did not realize that there were still city sweepers that cleaned up the leaves on the sidewalk. When I got to the hotel I dropped off my luggage and went to inquire about the hop on and hop off buses. The concierge only recommended one line. The Big Bus Tour. I decided to go with that option over going back to another information station to book another line. It was a bit tricky finding out where they pick you up from. After about 15 minutes of running after the Big Bus I was able to get on one. My ticket included a cruise down the Thames. The bus driver was extremely helpful on which route I should take to get the biggest bang for my buck.

It was raining the entire time I was in London but it didn't take away from how amazing the city happened to be. Every street there was a story about a significant event happening. Their gardens and parks are incredible and so is the price tag of being able to afford to live there. I was able to see all the sites and take the river cruise. The Big Bus Tour did not last as long as they promised then they ended up dropping me about 12 blocks from my hotel. Luckily, it was about 6 blocks from the best Fish and Chips restaurant I had researched online.

After about 30 minutes of heading in the wrong direction due to bad directions I was able to locate it. The owner came and took my order and talked about how his daughter currently lived in Savannah, Ga. There was another single dinner from Japan and he and I ended up eating together. I was only able to eat half of the fare and so they booked it up for me and I made my way through the rainy streets of London.

I was about two blocks into my journey to my hotel when I randomly ran into one of my best friend's brother on the street. I had reached out to him earlier about my trips but he was under a lot of stress due to that being the second week of school starting and beginning classes. I did not think that we would see each other on this trip due to my limited time.

We ended up talking and decided to go back to the street I was just on to grab a cup of tea. We caught up and decided to post the same picture to see how long it would take for his sister to see that we were able to hang out in London.

I then made it back to my hotel to rest before my last and only full day in London.

No comments:

Post a Comment